Wednesday, May 30, 2018

STUDY ... STUDY ... STUDY

Today we were in the campus "hospital" which is where 99% of SLP services take place in Sweden. There seems to have been very little differentiation of an SLP needing to choose to be a Medical Clinician (Strokes, TBI, cleft palate) or Educational Clinician (Language disorders & delays). Very few schools have SLPs here ... it is a new endeavor slowly progressing for SLPs to work in schools in Sweden ... and partially it began by our dear Professor Reuterskiold! ;)  She's amazing!  Here is a photo of old & new hospital buildings side by side (old on the left & new on the right).  We were in the new building today.


And I found a photo of Dr. Reuterskiold's Doctoral Dissertation:
 She's definitely had a varied and interesting career in a variety of specialties and multiple interactions with well-known colleagues. I love that I get the opportunity to learn first-hand from someone so humbly knowledgeable!


VERY interesting day of lectures; first by a Doctoral cohort of our Professor: Dr. Christina Hannson. She still works here in Lund and gave detailed information about the Swedish Language changes over time, current phonological patterns and grammar. I'm not going to say I understood it all but I definitely enjoyed the comparisons. Here's a little taste ...
 

This lecture was followed by lunch where my room mate and I found these ...
We decided this should become an American thing ... especially during finals ;)
After Lunch; we got a taste of Professor R's story and our first dip into School-age language Disorders.  My brain is full ... and tomorrow is a quiz. So, this will be all for today! ... More to come ...

1 comment: